We celebrated my daughter Emma’s 1st birthday over the weekend. We don’t have family around right now, because we moved in 2016 for Jay’s job in the military. I considered throwing her a little party out here with a few of our friends, but honestly there was something really appealing about just doing an intimate celebration as a family.
I had gone all out for my oldest daughter Olivia’s 1st birthday with a big Pinterest-worthy party with family and friends, and I had a blast putting it together. The party planner in me really digs taking on a project like that, but something in me really wanted something quiet, intimate and simple this time. I still wanted to make it special, and even though Emma won’t remember it, I know she will love looking back on these photos, and the videos we took, and see how excited we were to celebrate her turning 1.
My little helper, Olivia was so excited for decorate for Baby Emma, and she even helped pick out the pink cake, from Meats and Sweets bakery, here in town.
We adore our sweet baby girl, and she has changed our lives in so many ways. She is funny and mischievous, but also very thoughtful and cautious. I have loved watching her little personality blossom as she cruised through babyhood.
Here’s a little written snapshot I put together of Emma at 1-year-old:
- reading / flipping through books (especially the touchy-feely ones)
- her baby doll
- trying to drink water from a cup – she thinks this is hilarious and intentionally spills on herself and make herself cough
- sitting in her swing
- being outside in general
- baby signing time
- playing “chase” with sister
- playing “climb all over daddy”
- sneaking a pat on Toby’s back
- peeling of her socks
- playing with sister’s big-girl toys
- feeding herself
- climbing / scaling everything / scaring mommy
- begging for food off of everyone else’s plate
- “organizing” mommy’s papers
- having her hair brushed and lotion put on
- giggling at herself in the mirror
- nursing and cuddling with mama
- hanging onto mama’s pant legs
- laughing at daddy’s funny faces
- milk in her soppy cup
- finger puppets
- dancing / bouncing to music
- reorganizing the kitchen cupboards
- car rides, most of the time
- keeping her socks on
- keeping her bib on
- baby food / purees… especially baby cereal – thank goodness she is managing table food so well now
- being away from mommy
- when people are loud right when she wakes up (who doesn’t?)
- Bedtime is between 7:30 and 8:00pm, wakes up one more time to nurse around 11:00pm, and then usually sleeps until 6:00 or 7:00am.
- Naps around 10:00am and then again around 3:00pm. One nap is usually short, around 45 minutes, the other can be 1 1/2 – 2 hours long.
- Breakfast: eggs, cornmeal, muffins, oatmeal, cream of wheat, waffles, cheerios, strawberries, banana, yogurt, raisins, Nilla Wafers, milk
- Lunch & Dinner: disassembled meat and cheese sandwiches (the other half of big sister Olivia’s), quesadilla strips, cucumber discs, red pepper strips, string cheese, Annie’s Organic Mac n Cheese, soup, grilled cheese, mashed potatoes, sweet potato fries, spaghetti, baked ziti, cooked carrots, green bean casserole, cesar chicken wraps (with help)
- Will try just about everything, will chew for a while and then spit it out if she doesn’t like the texture
Recent milestones, special to me:
- Took her first 3 steps the day after her 1st birthday
- First words: says mama, dada, waves bye bye, says and signs “more”, signs “please” and “eat”
- “Helps” when getting dressed
God bless you, baby girl! He has beautiful things in store for you.